Sunday 21 September 2014

The everyday life of living and working in Madrid

A DAY IN OUR LIFE 

I thought I would quickly describe a day in the life of the Findlaters as we settle into a working life in Madrid.

Mornings usually start at 06:15 with many alarms, and where Kyran makes me breakfast and I get ready for work. 

At 07:00-07:15 the journey to work begins - I carpool with my aunty as I live with her and we work at the same place! How convenient.

Kyran stays home and works in his crazy lab that he has set up, making inventions for his brother and father.

Traffic into Madrid at this hour is horrendous and you should keep in mind that it is summer here at the moment so that is traffic even before the sun hits the horizon.   
However the traffic does not affect us much as they have a transit/bus lane that anyone with two or more passengers came use, to this saves us a lot of time. Just like we had in Brisbane for a while!

Tia and I are usually the first in the office we start work at 08:00 but we usually end up getting there 15 minutes early, this is the time Tia uses to make herself amazing salad or toasted breakfasts. As I have breakfast before I leave for work I take this time to start reading my emails. 

I am a Case Co-ordinator with Best Doctors in their Madrid office. My job is the administration and coordination of cases for the UK, including Ireland. 

I finish work at 17:00 hours sometimes Tia stayed back till 17:00 hours so I go in the car with her on lots of adventures. Otherwise Tia usually leaves earlier then me so I catch the bus home. 

Here I would like to note how good the public transport system is here. For the rest of the world it is probably average but for me coming from Brisbane, Australia, it is amazing!
A train comes every 6 minutes at the latest, and buses to the suburbs every 10 to 15 minutes, and the transition from train to bus is seamless. 

On Afternoons when I go on adventures with Tia it is usually to do visits as she is a doctor. After the visits we usually go home but by running around the country with her on visits I get to see more of Madrid and the greater area.

Mean while at home Kyran is supposedly inventing his heart out, with intermittent breaks down to the local shop to practice his Spanish on some poor unsuspecting shop attendant, asking for random things like a can of corn or hairspray (turns out they call it lacquer!).

The sun does not set in summer here till close to 21:00 hours meaning that at 17:00 when I finish work I usually have another 4 hours of sunlight, this is something that I LOVE about Spain (in the summer). You see families playing with their children in the parks after work rather then working families coming home for supper and putting the kids to bed because the sun is already down.

Thanks for reading! Make sure you check out the other two blogs I posted today, about our visit to a massive park and Donkey Land.

No comments:

Post a Comment